The person responsible for configuring and maintaining the system or server is called the system administrator. System administrators can be members of an information technology department. Most of the following discussion also applies to system administrators and Windows networks.
System administrator obligations
The roles of a system administrator are broad and vary widely from organization to organization. windows system administrator are usually responsible for installing, supporting and maintaining servers or other computer systems, as well as for planning and responding to service failures and other issues. Other functions may include scripting or easy programming, project management for system-related projects. Windows system administrator job profile and responsibilities would be like
- User Administration (Account Setup and Maintenance)
- Maintenance system
- Verify Peripherals Are Working Properly
- Quickly repair hardware repairs in case of hardware failure
- Monitor system performance
- Create file systems
- Install the software
- Create a backup and recovery policy
- Monitor network communication
- Update system as soon as the new operating system and application version appears
- Implement computer system and network usage policies
- Configure security policies for users. A system administrator must have strong computer security (for example, firewalls and intrusion detection systems).
- Documentation as an internal wiki
- Password and Identity Management
Cloud Computing and Systems Administrator
Cloud computing is nothing more than a large number of computers connected via the Internet / Wan. Cloud computing is now part of technology and sysadmin needs to rely on:
- Automation software such as puppets, cook, etc.
- Cloud infrastructure is similar to AWS, Openstack, etc.
- Cloud networking facilities such as content delivery networks (Akamai, CloudFront, etc.) and DNS servers.
- Control source
- Create best practices for backups and the entire infrastructure.
What's so special about the system administrator account?
The root account has full access (without restrictions), so it can do anything with the system. For example, root can remove critical files from the system. Also, there is no way to recover the file except for tape backup or disk backup systems.
Many system administration tasks can be automated using Perl / Python or shell scripts. E.g:
- Create new users
- Reset user passwords
- Lock / unlock user accounts
- Monitor server security
- Monitoring of special services, etc
The most essential skill for a system administrator
Problem-solving, period. This can take time for all kinds of restrictions and stress. When the workstation or server shuts down, you are called to resolve the issue. You should be able to quickly and correctly diagnose the problem. You need to find out what's wrong and how to best correct them in a short time.
System administrators are not ...
- Software engineers for cutting cookies.
- In general, it is not your responsibility to design new applications.
- But you need to understand the behavior of the software to be implemented and debugged, and in general, you should be able to understand the various programming languages used for scripts or automate routine tasks, such as shell, awk, perl, python, etc.